Technical OutReach Community Help (TORCH) is NSBE’s community service initiative. We aim to use out technical backgrounds to positively impact the community and achieve the following objectives.
- To provide science, engineering, technology and mathematics exposure opportunities within Black communities
- To stimulate enthusiasm about science, engineering, technology and mathematics within Black communities
- To provide introductory training to members of the community in modern technology, software and technical knowledge
- Promote the value of science, engineering, technology and mathematics education at all levels
- Encourage greater Black participation in science, engineering, technology and mathematics at all levels
TORCH is an umbrella program of NSBE which encompasses outreach activities that impact non-NSBE members and NSBE members alike, especially pre-college youth in Black community. Although increasing membership may be a result of these activities, TORCH programs seek to provide services ahead of promoting membership. TORCH programs are divided into the following branches:
- STEM Community Training – Formal classroom style education in STEM fields aimed at both youth and adults.
- Informal Engineering and Science Education - casual outreach activities, targeted at youth, which aim to show how science & engineering can be fun.
- A Walk for Education – A single day outreach activity aimed at encouraging youth to be better prepared for higher educational opportunities in STEM fields, and in general.
- Technical Expertise Services - Using our technical skills to provide a direct service to the community.
- Traditional Community Service Activities - Any other type of community service: food & clothing drives, volunteering at a shelter, etc.